Someday I hope to find something I love as much as my dog loves the water. We have one special toy that is only used dock diving and when it appears from it's hiding place, Kayak, my 2 year old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, can barely contain his excitement. There's something so wonderful about watching him launch himself off that dock into the lake without a care in the world but not every dog loves the water as much as Kayak. I oftentimes get asked, why is my golden retriever scared of the water? I thought they were supposed to be water dogs?! Not every dog will be a water dog but there are a few steps we can take as dog owners to properly expose our dogs to the water.
5 Step Process to Creating a Water Loving Dog:
1. Take it Slow - Start with just getting his/her feet wet, too much exposure too quick can be scary and make your dog not ever want to go close to the water again
2. Get Ready to Get Wet! - Your dog will be much more comfortable trying out the water if you're in there first!
3. Pick our a super special water toy - this toy is ONLY used when going in the water so that your dog has a big incentive to try getting wet
4. Go swimming with one of your dog's friends - watching another dog go in the water will help to coax your dog in
5. Be fun and encouraging! - Water can appear kind of scary at first so get ready to bring out your most fun, high pitched voice and never discourage your dog. Even if he/she isn't doing what you want, you still have to be upbeat and positive!
Remember, the water isn't for every dog but if you follow the above steps, your setting you and your dog up for success!
Ready for a water adventure with your pup?? Contact Adventure is Barking and we can help you set up a fun, water filled event!
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!